Sunday, January 18, 2009

Et in Arcadia ego

I find "Arcadia" such a nice word. The sound is so twisty and pleasing and I love the mythology and other connections.

Arcadia was a Utopian, pastoral land of antiquity, generally equated with natural styles of living and coexisting with the environment. I find the many traditional paintings of it so soothing, if sometimes a bit boring with all that pastoralism.

I love "Et in Arcadia ego," [even in Arcadia I exist] spoken by Death to remind us of that possibility in even the most idyllic places and situations.

I love Tom Stoppard's play Arcadia for a lot of reasons - it examines the nature of history, explores how much we can really understand the past, is interesting and really funny. Sad, but ultimately very thought-provoking and entertaining. A quote:

Mrs Chater is charming and spirited, with a pleasing voice and a dainty step, she is the epitome of all the qualities society applauds in her sex – and yet her chief renown is for a readiness that keeps her in a state of tropical humidity as would grow orchids in her drawers in January. -Septimus


I love Arcadia as a name. Recently, that is. Sure, it's technically a place name, and I generally loathe place names, but it has so much history and so many connections, along with a lovely sound and look, how could I pass it up? The French version, Arcadie, is so sweet. Right now I'm definitely in love with this and the similar Acacia.

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought Arcadia was pretty as well. Acacia is a long-time love of mine though, so I would love to see someone actually use it.

    ReplyDelete