Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Again I say WTF to TWoP

Fall in love with a boy who would deface the moon, who would turn nature's face upon itself if he could, just to find new ways to blaspheme, and back him into a corner. He will go after what he loves most. This is the truth about saving the Bad Boy: we trade on the worst thing we can think of, and loving you means hurting you becomes the worst thing we can think of. And that's your grand prize for loving him: the privilege of being hurt on a level you can't imagine until the knife lands, just so, just right, just perfectly balanced on the steel of your life and this story: "Or were you going to tell me you love me again?" is nothing less -- and nothing more -- than a suicide note, sealed with a kiss. "Why did you even come back?" she asks, and looks into his eyes, and finds an answer so filthy and terrifying she spits it out, and leaves. And they keep dancing.


Wow Jacob, recapper of TWoP. Gossip Girl would be just a wonderfully amusing/trashy fashion show if it weren't for him. He sees things that I truly think are not there from the writers' point of view (though this point I quoted is valid) but my goodness does it make the show fascinating on so many levels. What he said just blew me away with how true it is, and how bluntly he can lay it out. As someone who is constantly on and off with a "bad boy" in the vein of Chuck Bass this paragraph just kind of knocked with wind out of me.

(And in another way I hope I don't do anything similar, as I have been described somewhat as a female equivalent of this breed.)

Already editing because one page later Jacob has broken into my life yet again:

I have not gotten this far in life by paying a single gram of attention to my own personal dark shit. I firmly believe in pushing those feelings down, down, down, to a place they can never get between me and success. In this way, feelings are just like carbohydrates, and I like them that way, and I will write about them until I am blue in the face, but never mistake that for enjoyment. Feelings never got you anywhere except the Land of More Fucking Feelings, and much like crack cocaine or Dave Matthews Band or Scientology or any other cult, that's a journey of a thousand miles that starts with a single step. No thank you, sir or madam, I prefer life here on this side of the line.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that really is very deep look into what we consider a frivolous show. You know you love you some Blaire ; )

    ReplyDelete